Minutes from "Monthly Meeting - Nov. 10 - SDRCube Presentation" on 11/10/2011 - 18:00

Minutes for:

Monthly Meeting - Nov. 10 - SDRCube Presentation from 11/10/2011 - 18:00 to 11/10/2011 - 18:00

ARCNEM
K3NEM - - W3HEM - - W3GR
Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum
MINUTES
of the
10 November 2011
Monthly Meeting

1. ATTENDEES

Steve Stitzer WA3ZWC Ted Bauer WA3AER
Dennis McCall K3FAD Mike Birdseye K4DUM
Jim Smithson KB3UZN Jim Dressler KB3GSA
Tom Dalton KB3NHQ Joe Everhart N2CX
George Heron N2APB Jim Nowotarski N3GOO
John Paul Howell AA3WI Chuck Angel AA3FB
Alvin Glusick K0IQE Larry Przyborowski K3PEG
Bob Gardenghi K3FQP Tim Titus W1TRT
Bill Thompson WT3B Michael Kenney KB3WCO
Fred Heath AI3Z Jim Smith AB3CA
Allen Flinchum KB3JHC Rol Anders K3RA
Chuck Hutchinson KB3UDJ Brent Norrod K3DXC
Chip Weems W4PBG

The meeting was chaired by John Paul Howell, Pres.

2. MINUTES – minutes from October’s meeting accepted, approved

3. REPORTS
(a) Treasurer's Report - - Fred AI3Z
Opening balance $1819.57
Oct. ending balance $1934.77
Tube fund $70.00
Received hamfest income from W3DTN $27.00
Report accepted, approved.
(b) Station Equipment and Operation Reports
i. Power Line Noise - - Rol K3RA
Nothing new to report
ii. Northrop Grumman Family Net, Wed. 3PM ET - - Chip W4PBG / Bob K3FQP
Net is doing great; more a pileup than controlled net. Alvin NCS; Bob logging. Ran net until 1555.
SLC has tower and antenna up.
iii. 2M Net, Wed., 7:30PM ET - - Ted WA3AER
Net continues with average participation of 5, both ARCNEM and others. NCS roster is complete through Dec. 28.
iv. Equipment Issues
• Antenna - roof work party did not happen 11/5. Re-sked for 11/25. Mike B. will be avail as NG escort. 0900 start. Jim Dr. to coordinate. Steve St. will coordinate with Mike S.
(c) QSL Report - - Nick K3NY –
Card stack and Credit Slip back from ARRL; 263 confirmed entities. Oil rig QSL disallowed. Received stickers for 150, 200, and 250.
From the credit slip, we have the following totals:
By mode: 263 mixed, 129 phone, 150 CW, 4 RTTY, and 301 CHAL
By band: 80M 1, 40M 17, 30M 4, 20m 160, 17m 36, 15m 60, 12M 9, 10M 13, and 6M 1.
Franz Josef Land and Marion Island cards received, bringing count to 265.
(d) FISTS Report - - Nick K3NY – no report
(e) FAR Report – no report. We still need a FAR Representative.
(f) Training Report - - Rol K3RA
Current class completed. Request made for VEs to support testing.
Operating Class being discussed...likely between General & Extra Class courses.
Extra Class starts in late January 2012.
(g) Special Event Report - - Pearl Harbor Special Event set for December 3, 4, and 7. Operators needed

4. OLD BUSINESS
• Special Event: Pearl Harbor special event info sent to ARRL and CQ. Need Tom C. to set up web cam and event info on QRZ.com. Need operator sign-up sheet.
• EEG Machine: Owner contacted and info passed along to NEM Director for follow up.
• Equipment Loan: Arrangement made to transfer 2M Ringo to Gary J. on Tue., 15 Nov. This is a long term loan.
• Club Dues: Membership renewal forms passed out to attendees. 21 returned at meeting.

5. NEW BUSINESS
• Officer Nominations: President John Paul Howell
Vice-President Jim Dressler
Treasurer Fred Heath
Secretary Ted Bauer
• Officer Elections: Elections will be held at December’s meeting.
• Digital Picture Frame: Current one needs replacement. Moved and approved to explore obtaining a replacement, not to exceed $150. Tom Dalton as action. Tom has image file. Should we add our new DXCC confirmations to the file?
• QSL Display Board: Discussed what should be on display board (vs. digital frame), how to update. Some options: member’s cards, countries, special cards,… Agreed to further explore via reflector and decide at December meeting. Rol has the action.
• Contest Operation: Ted B. inquired about interest in using the station for contests. 6-7 attendees expressed interest; Ted has action to generate group interest; expose to group via reflector. Options to proceed briefly discussed. Concerns expressed about How to Operate a Contest.
John Paul has action to obtain list of 1Q12 contests for consideration.
Fred H. recommended we acquire a voice keyer (useful even for Special Events).
Bob G. and Chip W. asked if we might produce a short video showing how to get equipment operational.

6. NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS
Special Events:
• Upcoming Hamfests:
Frostfest – Richmond, VA, Feb. 4, 2012
MD Mobileers – Odenton, MD, Jan. 23, 2012
BARC Hamboree – Timonium, MD, Mar. 31, 2012

7. Technical presentations – Suggest or volunteer by contacting John Paul.
• SDRCube: George Heron, N2APB, gave a presentation & demo on SDRCube, a stand-alone QRP Software Defined Radio. Discussed design aspects, features. Presented several upcoming accessories. George offered slides to put on our web site; John Paul has the action. Members had opportunity for hands-on, on-the-air demo.

Next regular meeting: 8 December 2012 at 6:00PM local time.
Respectfully submitted by Ted Bauer, WA3AER

*** Visit ARCNEM on the Web at http://k3nem.org ***

AttachmentSize
ARCNEM_20111110_Minutes.pdf97.46 KB